Speaking With an Attorney in South Bay CA About Alternatives to Convictions

by | Mar 14, 2019 | Attorneys

Anyone who has been arrested will need to go through the court process to find out if they will be convicted and to find out what their penalties will be. Depending on the charges they’re facing, it’s possible the Attorney in South Bay CA will be able to help them look for alternatives to having a conviction on their record.

Accepting a Plea Deal

If the person is charged with a misdemeanor, it may be possible to accept a plea deal that lessens the charge to something that would be a ticket instead. In these cases, the person will admit guilt, but they will pay a ticket and the case will be over instead of going through court and possibly being convicted. This will not work if the person is facing felony charges, as a plea deal in those cases may lower the charges to a misdemeanor, but the person will still have a conviction on their record.

Deferred Adjudication

Deferred adjudication means that the judgment is withheld as long as the person meets certain criteria. This is often done in cases relating to drug charges. The arrested person will not be sentenced immediately. Instead, they will need to attend treatment programs and adhere to all rules set forth by the judge. So long as they comply with this for the length of time specified by the judge, the charges against them will be dismissed. This typically is only applicable if it’s the person’s first arrest and in certain cases where treatment might be a better alternative to other penalties like time in jail.

If you’ve been arrested, it’s possible you could avoid a conviction. However, you will need to speak with an Attorney in South Bay CA about the charges you’re facing as well as your criminal history, if you have one. This allows them to look closely at your case and determine if there’s a way for you to avoid a conviction. Visit the website for Shook & Associates Inc now at to learn more about how you might be able to avoid a conviction or to set up a consultation so you can get advice specific to your current situation.

Related Posts